Monday, July 7, 2008

Car vs. Pedestrian

The other day I came across a story that shocked and enthralled me. It was about a Father walking his six month child in a stroller crossing an intercsection in Tallahasse that is prodominately a college area. The dad was crossing with the right of way when a car turned right, and didn't apparently see them both. The driver hit the dad and the stroller launching the child, from witnesses account, about eight feet across the intersection. From all reports the two are doing well, aside from cuts and scrapes. Now here is where it gets interesting if not yet still.

The Dad became so crazed at the thought that his young child could have been killed punched the driver and tried to pull him out of the car. The driver got a ticket for reckless driving and the Dad as reported is in hot water, his is charged with a misdomeanor for striking the driver...huh?? I'm in no way advocating violence, it is a situtation that could have quickly gotten out of hand. However if that had been my child and I just witnessed her being launched across the street into the air, I can not in good conscious think I would have done less if not more to that driver. I hope the charges will be dropped, I know that you can't take the law in your own hands, but you also cannot allow a ticket vs possible jail time be the solution either. I'd be curious to hear your response to the situation and your solution as well, thanks for listening.

No comments: