Monday, July 14, 2008

Let's all go to the movies

I am as big a fan of the movie industry as the next guy. I love a good action or suspense thriller as much as a good comedy. I however am like much of the nation not in love with the ticket prices or the overall experience my wallet takes when taking a family of three to such an outing. I understand its a luxury and if you cannot afford to go, then don't. But when you get there you shouldn't have to darn near put the venture on a credit card just to get popcorn, drinks and what the heck a box of snowcaps. I remember back in the day when the tickets were only about five bucks for first runs shows, and you and a date could spend about twenty dollars and get all the aformentioned products. I'm paying for stale popcorn at a premium price, I'm getting watered down soda and if I'm lucky a fresh pretzel with cheese. Anyway I know that the money spent is just for entertainment purposes, and that my family can afford to go every now and then. But what about those who only get there by going to the sometimes run down "dollar theaters?" The movie might be the same on the screen, but the experience is quite different. You have people there only to get out of the heat, or the cold and could care less about what's on the big screen. let's not mention the kids running up and down the aisle, and oh my gosh the floors and seats feel as though someone sat there naked dripping sweat on them...ugh!!

When a blockbuster movie comes out and the first weekend drives in millions of dollars, that is where the thought process has got to change. I know that those who produce, act, and the studios have to make the money to make more movies. Have you ever stopped and thought about the amount that one movie could do for an entire section of our population. Like many of other things I know that all proceeds and the like cannot always go to other needy things, but how can the Industry go on strike saying that they don't get enough of the pie. I'm not talking about the minimum wage employees behind the scenes, they are like many of us not living the hollywood lifestyle. But how about a portion being donated to the fight against hunger, disease and homelessness. What about fund raises with certain proceeds being earmarked for families of disaster, or for the family of a public servant whose family has lost their sole provider. I think that if they amongst many other big companies where to help the community rather than profit from them maybe we all could feel better about our entertainment dollars. Let's not forget the movie industry also includes the rentals that account for such dividends across seas, that's right not only are we as Americans spending money on the new blockbuster but so are our neighboring countries...they love David Hasselhof over in Japan and still pay a premium to see anything he is in, even if its run its course over here in the States.

With everything going on in the world, like the War and the declining economy, the movie is our way to forget and just enjoy the moment. And they do a very good job at doing just that. But reality hits you in the face when the lights come on. That same two hours or so getaway only delays the haunt of perile waiting at the exit doors. We don't have to stop our various ways of enjoying life, but we need to apply that same effort in providing laughter, sorrow and heroic acts on the screen as well in our daily walks of life. So maybe the next time they talk about going on strike, think about how its really you and I and those minimum wage employees who are really being taken advantage of....how I do love my snowcaps.

1 comment:

Geriatric Nursing said...

Interesting take on the cost of going to the movies. I am able to remember when my bother and I could get into the movies for 35 cents a piece, we were quite young then. There wasn't even a minimum wage at that time. Times certainly have changed. Enjoyed reading your post.