Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Little Lady!


Hello to all, and especially to those celebrating Fathers day. The day will come and go, but the reasons hopefully will last a lifetime. This is only my second as a dad, but my thirty-sixth as a son. I am the proud dad of a gorgeous little girl, and she alone could provide the warmth of the sun through those eyes and that remarkable smile. Like most dads out there having a girl provides certain challenges, and just as many rewards.

Before she was born and we new the sex of our future child, people would ask whether I wanted a girl or a boy. Most times the response was either would excite me; you do that to be safe. Early on in the pregnancy you do not want to jinx fate. However those that know me and saw the gleam in my eyes every time I spoke of the anticipation heard my desire to have a girl. I have always wanted a girl and was completely in love with her when we found out, we really didn't know till birth. Every time we'd had the checkups she was always in the wrong position to truly identify a girl or a boy, so much so that by the time the last sonogram was taken the doctor said not to hold him to it but he'd bet it was a girl.

At birth I was the first to spend time with her; she was a C-section baby, so mommy was a little busy! I sat there by her side with her little hand holding my finger and listening to her beautiful screaming, yeah I didn't know that scream would get kind of old. Nonetheless one of the greatest things a father could experience in his life was looking back at him now for the first time. She was crying and looking for her mommy, while I was looking back at her and looking to her future. In an instant you have her life planned and know where you want her life to lead, yet knowing she is an individual and will make her own choices, you can't help but hope it’s always in the right direction.

Thus the first challenge having a girl brings, wanting her to know and see that a man should always treat a woman with respect and that her choices should always be just that. A father will be the example she looks to, a father will be the shoulder she leans on when she brings home that guy you will want to explain why you know where he lives and sleeps. A father will be the one who will miss being there when she does something for the first time because of work. A father is the one who secretly checks in on her while she sleeps to make sure she is ok, and checks the locks on the doors to make sure the family is safe at night.


There are those times when she's playing and in her own little world that I smile and know she is getting so big, she is able to reach things she couldn't less than a few months ago, and I wish that time would slow down so I'd have more time with her. I know that time is all we have and we never know how much of that we actually have, so I take the time to love her, watch her and in particular express to her my pure joy when she calls me “my daddy!”


I know wish to acknowledge my Father, my late grandfather, and my very close friends both here and up north a most happy fathers day. You all have in some way influenced me and I didn’t want to not say thanks to you all for being there both before and after the birth of my little girl…..THANKS !!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Sports Dad,
You are a great father; I could not imagine my family without you. Your patience seems endless when it comes to our little girl. I love to see the two of you playing it just warms my heart.
With all my love,
Your Wife.

SportsDad said...

Thanks for taking the time and getting me started with my blog. I love the pictures, a real good one of me and my girl too. Love you lots