Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"PING"... cinderella for another day?


As I watch the NCAA CWS on ESPN I cannot help but hope that we all have enjoyed the showcase of talent from all teams. Every outing has been purely exciting, especially from an offensive standpoint. Yeah like most of you my teams are not in it, or not playing for the championship. However for the baseball purist you get to watch teams compete for not money but for the right to be a champion. When all is lost and you think a team is down and out they have suprised all by having real late inning comebacks. Though enjoyable it brings me to my thought of the day, where the heck has the pitching gone?

I'm not complaining mind you, after all it has been quite interesting to say the least. But when a team has the other on the ropes and all it takes is an out or two, how does a team mount a comeback and do so without recording an out. I've watched and yelled at the television, all the while wondering why haven't we seen the pitching coach much less the head coach calling for another relief pitcher. It amazes me to see a guy on the mound give up four runs without an out and no one visits the mound to settle him down, give him some time to breath, or I don't know maybe pull his butt out of there!I don't care if its your best guy or not, this is not a seven game series, you only get two chances and if you lose the first...huh it ain't gonna be easy. For instance the Georgia vs Fresno State game last night is a prime example of the coach waiting too long to do anything, before you know it his team went from being up to being down and one loss away from total destruction. I'm afraid to ask where his mind was, but hey I guess that is why he gets paid and I don't to watch a blow out take place, I believe it was a .."PING"... grandslam that did them in. That "Ping" sound is one of the most recognizable in all of sports, it means look out a bullet is on its way or look up in the sky , that baby's gonna go for miles!

Folks you aren't gonna believe this but I'm seeing it happen again. Fresno was up 15-6 in the top of the seventh and now bases are loaded and now they are up 15 -10 ...I know at this level the hitting is keen but why can't a guy pitch his way out of a jam without giving up five runs before recording an out. I always thought the idea at Omaha was to leave nothing on the table 'cause if you do, you'll be home long before the final out is posted. I do hope that Fresno can hold on to give us one more entertaining outing tommorrow, and believe you me I mean just that too... hold on for dear life.

No comments: