Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We call that turbulance.






If you could close your eyes with me for just a moment, try and recall your last vacation. Was it hanging out at the beach, could it have been shopping in New York , maybe high rolling in Vegas. Or for the lucky ones perhaps it was closer, may a few hours drive having Grandmas potatoe salad, homemade peach cobbler and fresh made lemonade. Please keep them closed, we're not quite home yet. Back then your biggest complaint was that you couldn't see all the attractions you wanted due to a lack of hours in a day. Heck sometimes it was because there wasn't enough room in the suitcase or car to bring back all you picked up on vacation. Are you still relaxed, can you hear the waves breaking and smell that cool crisp ocean breeze??

BAM BAM BAM....wake up fool, those days are as gone as your old high school waist line, only to be seen in black and white pictures which are too fuzzy to be in color. We are in a crisiss mode and the only way out is to pay the piper, at least that is what the Airlines are telling us. I cannot believe that they have the gall to charge for services not rendered. They want me to pay to check my luggage and then hope it lands with me and not in Tokyo. How about they let me pay an amount that reflects how soon my flight took off, or in some cases how many days it took to leave the airport. They tell me to get to the airport at least two hours prior to take off, then when I run like the law chasing a bank robber to make my gate I find my flight delayed or my seat given to someone else. You can imagine the response, sorry there's nothing I can do, or we can get you on another flight going nowhere and for this much more money. I have heard now those little perks such as peanuts, pretzels and half a soda are being taken away, but if you want to pay a fee you can get ice with that water. I know that all things are going up and they too are losing money, but how do they expect the average joe to pay the extras when all he is trying to do is get home to see that someone special, maybe for the last time.

Now that I brought you home from your vision of long lost vacations, how are you planning this years adventure. Will it be staying home and sharing the cost by buying that special someone a ticket and not the whole families airfare. Might you just go as far as a tank of gas will take you, I'm sure there are things locally to experience. What about joint family vacations with close friends. No matter how you try to get around the idea of saving money there are those out there thinking of ways to get into your wallet, ways of telling you how much its hurting the company and not just the indiviuals. You see its not just the travelers hurting , its the employees of big business that are too being punished. If we choose to stay home, will that hourly wage employee be able to not only retain his job, but pay the bills. If he can't pay then it puts a financial bind on the next joe blow, and finally the plant shuts down 'cause the factory can't sell what it cannot afford to make. I'm not sure the big picture is being seen here, if solutions are not soon forth then the damages may be irreversable.

So the next time the Captain thanks you for flying their Airline, thank him on a job well done. Keep in mind the whole time you were in the air the gas near empty light was on, and that so called turbulance was him shaking every ounce of fuel out of that bird to keep the air conditioner on too...Happy flying and I hope you vacation smart and with patience, lots and lots of patience.


No comments: